After our cruise in May, Jennifer and I will be staying a few extra days in Rome. Since this will be our first time there, and we honestly have no clue which of the thousands of things we should do in Rome, on today’s program I asked for suggestions. Below are a few of the answers from callers. What would you add to the list? We’re particularly interested in the best restaurants we should be sure to go to, as well.
- Old Bridge Gellato (where JP2 used to get his Gellato!)
- 8:30 Mass at St. Peter’s in the Eucharistic Adoration Chapel
- St. John Lateran/San Giovanni – See the table from the last supper
- Church of the Stairs
- Go to Rome Termini and get a pair of glasses (supposedly great deals!)
- Church of San Clemente
- Scavi Tour (already have our reservations)
- St. Maria de Andeas – Where St. Maximilian Kolbe celebrated his first Mass
- Fransican Monastery/Bone Church
- Paul’s Imprisonment site (Mamentine Prison)
- Climb the stairs at the Basilica
- Vatican Garden tour and train station
- St. Peter in Chains
- When approached by gypsies and their children, yell, “Lottro!”
I think you mean the Pantheon (the Parthenon is in Greece). Lots of other great places to visit in that immediate are, including Piazza Navona.
Even if you have only a few days you should try to visit all of the primary pilgrimage churches — Saint Peters, St. Mary Major, St. Paul’s Outside the Walls, and St. John Lateran.
The Vatican Museum – especially the Sistine Chapel
Attend a Sunday Angeles or a Wednesday audience. (or both!)
Find a different gelateria every day. The Old Bridge gives you great value for your money, but also try Gioliti (you could stop there while going from the Pantheon to the Trevi Fountain.)
Walk from the Vatican down Via della Conciliazione towards Castel Sant Angelo after dark, and see look back over your shoulder to see the magnificent dome of St. Peter’s lit up.
Visit one of the catacombs
Use a money belt, and always be on guard for pickpockets!
OK I give up. What does lottro mean? Is it Italian slang for “I’m a crazy American and I know Chuck Norris!” or something?