Haven’t made this desert in years. Between this and carrot cake, these have been my two birthday choices my entire life. Made it for Labor Day tomorrow, but me thinks I’m going to test it right now. It may look ugly, but it is frozen perfection.
By popular demand, here’s the recipe:
1/2 Gallon Vanilla Ice Cream
Chocolate Sauce Ingredients:
1 can (14 oz) evaporated milk
1 package miniture marshmellows
1 pkg (6 oz) chocolate chips (we used dark chocolate chips)
1/2 cup butter
1 can (3 oz) shredded coconut
2 cups crushed graham crackers
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
To make the crust:
- Melt butter in heavy pan, add coconut and saute until coconut is brown
- Remove from heat, add crumbs
- Mix thoroughly, put 3/4 of mix on bottom of a 13x9x2 inch pan. Pat it down lightly for the crust.
- Save the other 1/4 of mix for later in recipe.
To make the chocolate sauce:
- Heat marshmellows, evaporated milk, and chocolate chips in top of a double boiler until everything is melted together.
- Remove from stove and cool.
Bringing it all together:
- Cut 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream into slices. Use half for bottom layer, the other half for top.
- Lay down half of the vanilla ice cream slices to cover the crust at the bottom.
- Add half of the sauce over the ice cream.
- Repeat ice cream and chocolate layers.
- Top with remaining crumbs, mixed with nuts (if desired – we leave out the nuts because of the kids)
- Cover with foil and freeze.
- Makes about 16 large servings.